For many years, wallpaper has been considered a design faux pas. It can make a room feel cluttered and small; it’s a pain to remove; people try to paint over old wallpaper and inevitably fail. Thus, many homeowners have opted to simply paint their walls to add color and aesthetic appeal to a room. Painting is fast and easy to change, not requiring a steamer or scraper to remove and replace.
Is wallpaper making a comeback? Better Homes and Gardens suggests that if selected thoughtfully and used creatively, wallpaper can be a seriously effective design tool, adding focal points, color and creativity to your space.
Let’s look at a few ways you can update your Atlanta home and its furnishings using wallpaper.
- Use a bright – colored wallpaper with a classic pattern in large rooms. Sunny yellow, neutral – tones or bright – hued papers with clean patterns can make over-sized rooms feel cozier.
- Use wallpaper to line the backs of built-in shelves or shelves on certain pieces of furniture. You can select a pattern and color to complement the remainder of your room while sprucing up favorite furnishings.
- BHG suggests using swatches of wallpaper above fireplaces or paneling to break up space and add points of focus within a room. You can also jazz up table tops with wallpaper. Cover the applied paper with a sheet of glass for protection.
- You don’t have to paste wallpaper directly to a wall. Frame pieces of color – coordinated wallpaper to create interesting artwork.
- Use wallpaper on the ceiling.
- Enhance the effect of wallpaper by pasting stripes alongside complementary paint colors, as opposed to papering the entire wall.
- Create wallpapered panels for a headboard.
- Wallpaper the inside of kitchen cabinets, wall – hanging jewelry cases or cupboards.
No longer dated, wallpaper can be a fairly easy and affordable way to spruce up your space.
If you’re interested in updating your Atlanta home and wondering “is wallpaper making a comeback?” Contact us for a free quote at 404.683.9848, email Randy@GlazerConstruction.com or complete our Fast Form below.