Hiring a Contractor? Ask Yourself These 10 Questions First
Whether you’re wanting to enclose your carport, add a second story or simply install a patio, you’ll likely turn to a professional contractor or construction company to get the job done right. Ask yourself these important questions to ensure you choose the best home renovation company for you.
1. Are they talked about? Popular construction companies achieve their reputation for a reason – they satisfy their customers. Talk around, read reviews, magazine features and even advertisements to see where all the buzz is.
2. How do national associations rank them? Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. (ABC), National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) and the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) are all valuable, trustworthy resources.
3. Are the construction companies I’m considering willing to travel and provide me with a quote? Getting on-site quotes from several contractors is the best way to gauge price differences and guarantee you get the most out of your budget.
4. Do they have a portfolio? No matter your project, ask to view pictures of past completed jobs, before and after shots and some of the company’s best work.
5. Are they insured, licensed and bonded if necessary? You always want to select a construction company that carries the proper insurance and coverage to guarantee your home and their workers are protected.
6. How do the home they stand with their suppliers? It’s ok to contact the suppliers of construction companies you’re considering to make sure they all speak well of their relationship.
7. How do they rank with the Better Business Bureau? Before hiring any business to come to your home and work, take a minute to check out their ratings on the BBB Web site. Make sure there aren’t copious unresolved complaints or failing scores.
8. Will my contractors work with me where permits are required? Your contractor should necessitate appropriate building permits before work begins, and many companies will help you navigate the process and obtain the proper documents.
9. Is the pricing and time frame for completion fair? Check out the material list and compare prices for yourself with other builders, as well as local suppliers and home improvement stores. Also think about the estimated time frame for completion – you don’t want a two-week project to drag on for a month because of inexperience or misrepresentation.
10. How do I feel? Always trust yourself when hiring a contractor. If you’re uneasy or anxious after meeting them, don’t feel confident about their credentials or aren’t thrilled with their past work, move on. Mutual comfort in the relationship is paramount.
If you are planning on hiring an Atlanta contractor these 10 questions will help Of course you can always contact Glazer Design and Construction at 404.683.9848, email Randy@GlazerConstruction.com or complete our Fast Form below.